PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Can you become an ai
Hi captain , I had an accident 15 yrs ago and ha

Does a jet aircraft
Reading through the comments was both entertaining

Does a jet aircraft
So many nonsense here... Earth isn't flat. Period.

What are the cruisin
"how in the hell can you reach JFK if you leave fr

What are the eyesigh
tjsoihsdojfsioufs f post

What are the procedu
Hello Sir, I am currently B737NG Cpt.TRI /TRE hol

Could an A320 pilot
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that be

Is there less turbul
Flying from San Francisco to Philippines, end of M

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > To be a pilot: Is swimming, geography and memorizing ability necessary?
To be a pilot: Is swimming, geography and memorizing ability necessary?
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Saturday, 19 February 2011 04:10

Dear Capt Lim,

I am troubled by a few questions which I think, possibly could be asked in the interview and I hope to seek a decent answer.

1. Do you think it is important for a pilot to know how to swim? Why a pilot should know how to swim?

2. Do you think that a pilot must be able to memorize things well? If memorizing things is important, why? (For me, I am kind of bad in memorizing stuff. I would prefer to understand the theory behind and from there, I derive the formulae and stuffs. That is my way of learning. )

3. Do you think a pilot must know the geography of the world well? Why is it necessary for a pilot to know the capital of each country?
(As you know, I kind of loathe memorizing stuffs, if so happen, they ask me in the interview, do you think it is advisable if I answer ''a pilot does not necessarily need to memorize all the countries with the capital because a pilot can do a research of the country if he is assigned for the particular flight.'')

4. In the past, why a pilot must maintain perfect eye-sight? Is it advisable nowadays that pilots with spectacles are allowed to be in-charge of the whole plane?

Last but not least, I did some Google searches on forum since the last time I browsed your website. Unfortunately, what I have found out is that the server is down. Undoubtedly, that was the most informative pilot wannabes forum I could find. This coming 18th, I am going to attend the Air Asia cadet pilot interview. I cannot find any information about what to prepare during the interview and I seems to be running out of time. So can you please enlighten me?

Any advices or information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and wish you a healthy and happy year!

Thanks again for this spectacular website!

Best regards,

Jacob.

So you want to be an airline pilot?
Hi Jacob,

1. Yes, a pilot must know how to swim. He has to attend a Safety Emergency Procedures Course where “Wet Dinghy Drills” are conducted in a swimming pool. During the training, he must demonstrate that he is at least capable of rescuing a “survivor” in the water by swimming (paddling) a considerable distance on a life jacket to “shore”

2. Yes, a pilot needs to memorize some important drills in an emergency. He needs to react immediately to some important checks or else he would lose consciousness in the air. For instance, if a plane loses total depressurization at 40,000 feet, a pilot has only about 15 to 20 seconds time of useful consciousness to react to a set of emergency drills.

3. A pilot needs to be an all-rounder, not just Geography. If the interviewer asks you the capital of Russia; it shows that you are not good at current affairs if you cannot answer the question.

4. A pilot can wear glasses as long as it can be correctable to normal vision. In the past, pilots needed to have perfect vision if they were military pilots who have to perform dog fights in air battles. Not today. Please read this topic on my website.

My Forum is not very active because I do not have the time to manage it properly. Furthermore, I am troubled by malicious visitors who used to insert SPAMS and viruses to the site. It has been removed for the time being and I may just reopen it to serve as an archive as there are still some useful information inside.

All candidates going for the current Air Asia cadet pilot interview are reminded to be well prepared. Besides being good in English, Physics and Mathematics, you have to be excellent in general knowledge as well.

I wish you all the best!

Future Pilots

All the Best

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
air asia cadet interview
hie capt..
do u hav any idea wat kinda maths n physics questions they would ask as i have my interview soon as well!! thanks alot

v , 13 Sep, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com