(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Becoming a Pilot > The long and winding road to an airline career…
The long and winding road to an airline career…
Pilot Career - Becoming a Pilot
Saturday, 19 February 2011 15:45

Dear Capt Lim,

I am an avid reader of your articles. The write up and information on your website is really helpful especially for an aspiring pilot like me. Lately, your article on Air Asia’s Travel 3Sixty in-flight magazine has captured the hearts of many. I understand from this month's edition that you will be retiring.

My question might seem repetitive but I believe that you can give me a solution.

I have been applying constantly to Malaysia Airlines (MAS), Air Asia and Singapore Airlines (SQ) for the last 6 years. None of them have given me an opportunity to an interview.

I have no Physics but I have Additional Mathematics and General Science, Grade 5C and I possess a Diploma in Marine Engineering with a pointer 3.27. Air Asia’s prerequisite is average of B's, if not Physics. So I don't stand a chance. MAS never replied and I believe with SQ, it is the same as I don't have Physics.

Lately, I have decided to fund myself to the flying school but I have been strongly discouraged by three pilots and a few of my friends who have graduated from the flying school almost more then 2 years without a job. Recently, the Star newspaper reported that more than 300 pilots are still unemployed.

I thought of dropping the idea but I don't seem to have many options with my educational background. It has always been my dream and passion to become an aviator. It's not about getting to the airlines but to fly. I am just worried that with all the money spent, I won't be able to land a job.

I am definitely budget ridden and I have been scouting around. I have ruled out doing it in Malaysia as the cost is really high. Australia seems to be an ideal place in terms of costs with many schools allowing students to work to support themselves for the living cost.

Australian Aviation Training College (AATC) and Flight Training Adelaide give us option for self study on the 7 theory subjects although it doesn't really make a substantial difference but we are looking at about 4000AUD lesser.

I've done the aptitude test from AATC and faired quiet well. I also understand the rules on conversion set by DCA, Malaysia and I still see it cheaper doing it abroad. I did consider USA, Canada and Philippines which are actually cheaper but they are FAA license.

Although I am looking at the cost but I did take into account the student ratio, air craft availability and location.

Is there any flying school in the world that you can suggest in terms of cost?
Do I have any option if I were to do it is the USA, Canada or Philippines?
Do I stand a chance with any airlines in terms of sponsorship?

Thank you.

Anthony Jason

The Long and Winding Road
Hi Jason,

It is true that there are too many pilot graduates chasing after the current pilot requirements in Malaysia. (I believe you are a Malaysian)

To be assured of an airline job in this region, you have to get yourself selected as a cadet pilot in the airlines concerned, or else, as I have mentioned many times previously, it would be a long and winding road to your dream.

Some flying schools overseas may be cheaper but there are hidden costs before you would finally get a Malaysian DCA Frozen ATPL to enable you to be employed in any local airlines. The Malaysian DCA would be able to offer you some more advice on this.

Yes, you may invest a lot of money on your own to get a flying license but the return would be a disappointment in the short term. No one can accurately predict the future of aviation and unless money is not a problem, it would be wise to put them on some other field that is more certain.

The chance of any airlines sponsorship is bleak if you do not possess the basic qualifications. That is not only the criteria – you have to excel in all other fields as there are many hopefuls just like you.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavor!alt

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (4)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Replies for Anthony
Dear Anthony,
You may get additional info from the another student pilot who had just graduated: www.flygosh.blogspot.com.
Kael , 22 Feb, 2011
Hey mate,I think you better do a little bit of research about oversea flying school!smilies/wink.gif
AATC I really don't recommend you to join!!!smilies/shocked.gifsmilies/shocked.gif
nick , 26 Feb, 2011
More details and suggestions to your dilemma
Correction to the earlier posted website, the accurate one is this: http://flygosh.blogspot.com/
Kaelvin , 10 Mar, 2011
You may be interested in this website my friend linked me to - not sure how it works but may help you. www.pilotabroad.com
Jack , 23 Dec, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com