(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Education > Do I qualify to join the Cadet Pilot Program with my qualifications?
Do I qualify to join the Cadet Pilot Program with my qualifications?
Pilot Career - Education
Sunday, 16 December 2007 19:00

Hi Capt Lim,

Thank you for your outstanding website!! It has a wealth of information for pilot wannabes. I have always wanted to be a pilot but am finding it an extremely difficult profession to enter. I have some questions which I hope you could kindly answer.

I am a Singapore citizen, 25 years old and will be complete my degree course in June 2004. The pre-requisite for the cadet pilot program states that one should possess a pure science subject at 'O' Level standard. However, I only have a combined science subject which is Physics and Biology. Another criteria is a polytechnic diploma. My Business diploma is from Spring Singapore, formerly known as Singapore Productivity & Standards Board. The degree I am doing is a validated program from a U.K. University.

In your opinion, will I stand a chance of qualifying for the cadet pilot scheme? I am very determined to be an airline pilot at any cost. Is there any other useful information you could pass me to give me an added advantage in my application? Are there any other airlines that offer cadet pilot schemes for which I could qualify? Most other airlines I have looked up requires one to be a citizen of the country. I am open to the idea of applying for a different citizenship if I am selected for those airlines. If so, how do I go about stating that in my application to those airlines without sounding DESPERATE?

I would really appreciate if you could take some time off your busy schedule to reply to my queries. It would really be a pleasure if it is possible to meet you and speak to you in person about your experiences as a pilot

Thank you once again for your website.

David Amos Seth

Hi David,

The pre-requisites for SIA (Singapore Airlines) cadet pilot program are:-

Singapore Citizens, Singapore Permanent Residents or Malaysian Citizens. Minimum 5 credits in the General Certificate in Education (GCE) Ordinary Level Examination or its equivalent. These must include credits in English, Mathematics and a Pure Science subject, preferably Physics, taken at one sitting. In addition, applicants must possess one of the following:-

(a) minimum 2 'A's and 2 'O's, including General Paper, in the GCE 'A' Level Examination (or its equivalent); or
(b) minimum 2 Principal Passes (excluding the languages; Mathematics andScience subjects preferred) and 2 Subsidiary Passes in the STPM (or its equivalent); or
(c) a Polytechnic Diploma; or
(d) a Degree. - You must be medically fit and have visual acuity of at least 6/60 without optical aids, correctable to 6/6.

It appears that your combined Physics and Biology may not be a pure science subject. I cannot say for sure whether you would stand a chance to qualify for the scheme. You can always submit your application together with all your other qualifications, the Diploma and the Degree. Then pray and wait for them to call you up for the various tests and the interview. I am sure you have read about the profile of the selection process in this website.

Even if you have all the basic requisites, it is only half the battle won. There are many hurdles ahead before you are finally accepted for the flying training, and eventually, graduating as an airline pilot.

I am not sure of any Airlines that would offer the cadet pilot program for non-citizens. Your best bet is SIA, failing which you have to pay for your own expenses to do the flying course and then seek for employment later. (See previous FAQ)

Wish you all the best.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (5)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
How About SPM Level?
Hi Captain Lim.
How about SPM Level?Same as above?

Keane Lai Soen Liong (Malaysia)
Lai , 12 Jun, 2009
how to apply?? , Low-rated comment [Show]
Mr
I am a Sociologist and wants to become a commercial pilot
Raymond , 15 Dec, 2009
Hi Captain Lim,

I am Malaysia, 26 year old. I have obtained a Law Degree. I am keen to be a pilot and I do not know will I stand a chance for qualifying the Cadet Pilot Scheme?

I have studies Physics in my O-Level and Double Mathematics. Would I stand a higher chance for Cadet Pilot Programs?

I shall be much obliged if you could kindly advise me for the above matter.

Thank you
Vincent Tan , 24 Mar, 2010
No O lvl
Hi Captain Lim,

I am 24 this year and i am still serving my NS right now.

My question is if i have only a diploma in Electronics engineering and specialize in Aerospace but i don't have a O lvl certificate, do i still stand a chance to become a pilot?

If i am not qualify to become a pilot without O lvl, what can i do? Please advice.

Charles , 21 Feb, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com