(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Eyesight > Should I mortgage my house to take up flying after my Lasik surgery?
Should I mortgage my house to take up flying after my Lasik surgery?
Pilot Career - Eyesight
Thursday, 25 August 2011 16:20

Lasik Eye Surgery

Hi Captain Lim,

How are you? I am Thomas. I’ve written to you before regarding my eye problem (keratoconus) I’ve read some of your answers and found this informatiom from your response to others.

For your information, I’ve undergone the Lasik surgery to stabilize my keratoconus problem. DCAM gave me the green light to go ahead with Lasik surgery subject to the vision getting stabilized after 1 year with regular checkups with the AME. However, my vision after surgery is still not that perfect. Briefly, without correction, the readings are:-

Short sighted: Right eyes (20/20)
Left eyes (more than 6.0 dioptres)
Astigmatism: 6.0 and 7.0 dioptres

But I am able to achieve perfect vision with (RGP) Gas permeable contact lenses. I’ve also seen Dr.Kee as you have recommended. He told me the DCAM requirements are as follows:

Short-sighted: 5 dioptres or less
Astigamatism: 2 dioptress or less
Vision of at least 6/9 both eyes with correction

I am definitely able to meet all the DCAM requirements but as you said, airlines may have a higher standard for cadet pilots. (see here)

I am about to take a loan and mortgage my house for my course fees. I am prepared to sacrifice everything I have but I am still afraid to take the risk as I may be grounded in the future.

I really cannot give up this dream. What is your advice?

Many thanks again

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

As you have read in the newspapers, there are still many pilot graduates in the market who have spent a lot of money getting their licenses and are still jobless. Well, they may get a flying job in the end but how long can you wait without income to settle the loan?

Your only hope is to get into the Cadet Pilot Program in SIA, AirAsia, Malaysia Airlines or FireFly. They may sponsor your course fees during your training if you are successful to be selected. Some of them may accept the DCAM (Department of Civil Aviation Malaysia) requirements.

All the bestalt

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Lasik Surgery after 3 years

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Shoud I mortgage my house to take up flying?
Hi Captain Lim,

Thank you so much for your reply. It was a quick reply and it really surprises me. Thanks a lot.

I know that cadetship is one of the best solutions, but unfortunately I just don’t have enough credits for my SPM.

Moreover, regarding my eyes condition, even though I had made the decision to do a Lasik surgery, I don’t think they are likely to accept me.

I know that there are many graduates pilot who are jobless out there; I am hoping that the joint venture of MAS and AirAsia would help in decreasing the unemployment rate. I don’t think I can make it to the cadetship.

I know the risk of mortgaging my assets but a man without his dream is like a bird without its wing. It’s risky but I would still go for it.

For this past few months, as you can see, I really sacrifice pain, money, disappointment and even a tougher journey ahead but I will never ever think of giving up.

I admire you Captain Lim. I will try my very best, even if I failed I think I would die with no regrets.

Thanks a lot for everything. You have brighten up my day ... I wish you all the best

Thomas
Thomas , 26 Aug, 2011
DONT DO IT
flying is very expensive, but anyone can do it. i started flying 12 years ago and now is when i'm reaping the rewards. now, maybe if you can get 1500 of jet in 1 year and get lucky and fly for AMERICAN AIRLINES. they are supposed to hire 40 pilots a month indefinitely.
Tom , 12 Sep, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com