(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Eyesight > Can I get a flying job with a restriction on night flying?
Can I get a flying job with a restriction on night flying?
Pilot Career - Eyesight
Monday, 26 November 2007 04:14

Hi Capt Lim,

I  just came back from an eye check prior to my Class 1 Medical Appointment - Malaysia DCA Class 1

According to the opthalmologist....

I exceeded the limit and will only be issued with a Class 1 medical with Restriction on Night FLying.

My correction:-

R:-4.5D  1.75 astig 6/6
L:-4.25D 1.75 astig 6/6

That's from the opthalmologist...

I will go to the Aviation Physician on Wednesday for my Class 1 check up. I got my Class 2 without any restrictions.

I don't have any other eye condition.

If I do get a Class 1 with a restriction, can I appeal at a later date after gaining some experience or with a letter of demonstrated ability from my instructor, will they remove my restriction?

Also, is it easy to look for my first job with the restriction on night flying?

I'm not ready to change my mind to another job yet

Thank you Capt Lim.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FH Chiang.

Hi FH Chiang,

I am not sure if the ophthalmologist who did your eye check was also a DCA Authorised Medical Examiner.

If you are going to have a restriction on Night Flying in your Class I Medical Certificate, I believe it can affect your chances of a flying job with the airlines (not unless you can find a flying job that operates only during the day).

I am not clear as to how this restriction can be removed but I can recommend you to see one Malaysian DCA Authorized Medical Examiner – Dr Kee from Drs Newton & Young for the appropriate advice. Please call these numbers and make a personal appointment with him during office hours. Tel: 603 79569400, 603 79569825

Before you do that, please check with the doctor doing your Class I medicals on Wednesday first.

Good Luck.

Hi Capt Lim,

Could you tell me what do I have to clarify with the Doctor I made an appointement with? The Doctor I'm meeting with is Dr Dalbir Sagoo from TTMC KLCC. Heard many expats do their medicals there.

By The way...

Once a CAAS officer sent me information on the Singapore visual requirement.

There is no optical limits and I believe I'm well within Singapore standards.

Hmm.. also.. Capt Lim, can I obtain a foreign license, let's say Australian or Singapore's then work with the airlines there until I accumulated some hours and then switch back to the Malaysian License requesting them to consider my experience and remove the restriction?

My Class 2 doctor told me that I'm perfectly alright to fly in the United States as he is a FAA appointed doctor and has the FAA's information.

Dr Kee, well actually I wanted to look for him in the begining, because he is a chinese so I thought it would be easier to communicate with him. But because I don't know where's the place is after I read the address, I opted for Dr Dalbir Sagoo in KLCC.

Thanks for the advice..

Hi FHChiang,

You should have seen Dr Kee to explain the effect of restriction on Night Flying in the Class 1 Medical Certificate and whether there are any possibilities of it being lifted in future. I believe he is in a better position to give you consultation on this restriction, as he is the Authorized Medical Examiner for FAA, CAA/JAA, Australian, New Zealand, India, Pakistan, Canada and Malaysian Licenses.

You can get an Australian license but I believe you would have difficulty getting employment there unless you are a PR or a citizen of the country. As for Singapore License, it is not a problem if you are employed by SIA. Whether you can get the Night Landing Restriction removed after that is a question that I don’t know at the moment.

Generally the FAA medical standard is less stringent as they would try to get pilots to continue flying rather than getting them grounded. For example, they would allow pilots to fly even after a heart bypass (prior to getting a heart attack) – ask Dr Kee, he is also a AME for FAA. Many other countries outside have been very rather slow to follow the FAA.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com