(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Eyesight > About vision problems and its correction by the laser surgery technique.
About vision problems and its correction by the laser surgery technique.
Pilot Career - Eyesight
Wednesday, 02 January 2008 20:41

Hi Capt Lim,

I am really keen to become a pilot. I have satisfied all the necessary requirements to become a cadet pilot. My eyesight is correctable to 6/6 with optical aids. However, I am not too sure if I have a visual acuity of 6/60 without optical aids. Is this a very important factor even though my eyesight is correctable to 6/6 with optical aids?

I have read about correcting ones eyesight by laser surgery. Is that allowed for aspiring pilots and to those who are already pilots? I really appreciate your advice and I am grateful for any information that you may have. Thank you.

Regards,

Faisal

Hi Faisal,

If you are not sure as to whether your visual acuity is 6/60 without optical aids, visit an optometrist. This is the minimum requirement to be accepted for pilot training. In reality, certain Airlines have laid down more stringent requirement specific for their Company. Their cut off point for cadet pilots is a visual acuity of 6/36 without optical aids. Their rationale is, they would rather invest in a new pilot with better vision than one with the absolute minimum

Regarding the correction of vision by laser surgery, I have spoken to one aviation medicine trained doctor. His recommendation is, if you want to correct your vision by the laser surgery technique, please do so before you join the Airlines. If this surgery is performed whilst you are a qualified pilot, you may be grounded for a while. In other words, it is okay for pilots to have their vision corrected by laser surgery.

Dear Captain Lim,

Thank you for your valuable information. I am going to attend a cadet pilot career talk with Singapore Airlines at the Training Center next month. It is a whole day affair. I was wondering if you could perhaps give me some tips and pointers on how I could impress them or to show my deep interest in becoming a pilot.

Is there anyone I should try to impress in such a seminar? I do not have any prior flying experience, but it has always been my dream to become a pilot ever since when I was little. Also is there any X factor they are looking for in a cadet pilot and is physical size any important?

Thank you. I do hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Faisal Huned.

Hi Faisal,

The best way to give a good impression is to equip yourself with all the knowledge about flying. You can gather all these from this site. You must satisfy all the requirements physically and medically to be selected for the cadet pilot programme. You have to show good leadership qualities, volunteer for any assignments given and be a good team player.

Enjoy your seminar but prepare yourself well!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com