(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Flying on the Boeing 777 > Was the Concorde as safe as the Boeing 777?
Was the Concorde as safe as the Boeing 777?
Flying - Flying on the Boeing 777
Monday, 16 October 2006 09:17

Hello Capt Lim,

Thank you again for this really great site. I have a few questions to ask about the Concorde and flying generally.

I noticed that the Concorde did not have any flaps or slats. Instead, it would change the position of the nose. How does this work?

Do you think they will ever bring back the Concorde?

What design specifications make the Concorde able to break the sound barrier while, if any other airplanes come near the sound barrier, they would break apart?

Do you think the Concorde was as safe as the Boeing 777?

Do pilots sometimes cut the power too soon after takeoff? I remember being on a flight and the pilot reduce the power as soon as the airplane left the ground and the airplane, kind of, slowly went down a little. It was not scary because it happened so fast. How common is this though?

Andrew Henry.

Hi Andrew,

Yes, the Concorde did not have flaps or slats. Instead of the normal conventional wings of commercial airplanes, it has only delta-shaped wings. Further, rather than the usual elevator and aileron, it has elevon. An elevon is an aircraft control surface that combines the functionality of the elevator and the aileron.

When the elevon are moved in the same direction (up or down) they will cause a pitching force to be applied to the airframe. When moved differentially, (one up, one down) they will cause a rolling force to be applied.

Because it has no flaps or slats to slow the plane down, the Concorde has to increase the pitch angle to decelerate. So it lands and takes off with a high angle of attack (or high nose angle). As a result of this pointed nose, it obstructed the pilots* view of taxiways and runways. The Concorde*s ?droop nose? was thus designed to allow for different operations.

After take-off and after clearing the airport, the droop nose would be raised and shortly before landing, the nose would be lowered for maximum visibility. Upon landing, the nose was quickly raised to avoid the possibility of damage. On very rare occasions, the aircraft could take off with the nose fully down as well.

The Concorde wing does not just sweep back (by 55 degrees) but it twists and droops, making what appears to be a very simple design, but in reality, very complex.

Well, this design that allows the Concorde to generate sufficient lift at low speeds by increasing the angle of attack of the wing, also enable it to perform very efficiently at high speeds as it generates very little drag.

On a traditional aircraft*s wing, a swirling vortex is formed only at the wing tips. On a delta wing at low speeds, such a vortex is formed nearly enough along the entire wing surface and produces most of the lift in those conditions.

With Concorde*s high angle of attack at low speeds, the amount of vortex lift that is generated by the wing increases significantly, and this is fundamental for Concorde to be able to fly at slow speeds during take off and landing.

What makes the Concorde able to break the sound barrier while, if any other airplanes come near the sound barrier, they will break apart?

Well, its delta-shaped wings and structure were specially designed for supersonic flights whilst subsonic planes were not made to stress beyond the speed of sound. Four powerful turbojet engines with reheat (after burners) enabled the Concorde to fly up to its top speed of Mach 2.04

Was the Concorde as safe as the Boeing 777?

If you look at my topic on "Which is the safest airplane?"
the Concorde registered an accident rate of 12.2. This poor ranking is misleading because the Concorde flew very few flights as compared to other commercial aircraft. It did about 80,000 takeoffs in its entire 24 years of operation. A million takeoffs are usually considered the point where accident rate starts to mean something.

Although the Concorde was a technological marvel when it was introduced in the early 1970s, thirty years later, her cockpit was getting out dated. With no competition, there was no commercial pressure to upgrade this supersonic jet with enhanced avionics or passenger comforts as occurred with other airliners of the same vintage, for instance, the Boeing 747-400s. What*s more, when compared to the Boeing 777?

It is unlikely that the Concorde would be brought back to service after British Airways and Air France had retired this supersonic jetliners in 2003.

Do pilot cut the engine power as soon as the airplane leaves the ground?

No. Power reduction normally occurs at around 1500 feet and not immediately after it leaves the ground as what you have perceived. The captain was probably complying with the nose abatement procedures in some airports. Because of this, an airplane may sometimes, not only have to reduce power, but also turn away from runway heading to avoid populated areas. Failure to do so would be an infringement of the local regulations.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
The Concorde info.
Very informative and helpful. Covers many topics!
Jessica , 04 Feb, 2014
Thanks
Thank you for this informations!
Tech Lord , 30 Mar, 2016

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com