(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Flying on the Boeing 777 > Why are the seat configurations on the Boeing 777 in economy class is 2-5-2?
Why are the seat configurations on the Boeing 777 in economy class is 2-5-2?
Flying - Flying on the Boeing 777
Thursday, 06 December 2007 19:47

Hello Capt Lim,

I frequently fly on United Airlines Boeing 777's and I have often wondered why the seat layout in economy class is 2 on the sides and 5 in the middle. Wouldn't it make more sense, and be more comfortable for the passengers in the middle rows, to have 3 sets of 3? Great job on the web site.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I am not so clear as to the rationale why the Airlines did not favor the three sets of 3 seats in the economy class. I suppose the reasons may be safety, convenience or uniformity. Remember the emergency exits are on either sides. With 2 seats, the obstruction problem may be considerably reduced. Convenience of service from either side may be another. Anyway, these are my opinion.

Check it out with the United Airlines or Boeing, they may be able to give you a better answer. Maybe your suggestion may earn you something the next time you travel with them!!

Updates: Below are the updates I manage to get from a representative of the Boeing Company:-

Seating configurations on the Boeing 777 are chosen by the specific customer. Typical arrangements offered are:

Boeing 777-200ER/200LR 301 passengers in three classes at seat pitches of 61/39/32 inches.

Boeing 777-300 368 passengers in three classes at seat pitches of 60/38/32 inches.

Boeing 777-300ER 365 passengers in three classes at seat pitches of 61/39/32 inches.

Optional configurations for economy class seating are:

9 abreast premium economy with 47 centimeter wide seats arranged with two 49 centimeter aisles arranged as follows 2-5-2 or 2-4-3 or 3-3-3.
10 abreast economy with 43 centimeter wide seats arranged with two 43 centimeter wide aisles arranged as follows 3-4-3.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (3)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
I thought was to give every one an empty seat, or aisle/window beside them until the section was
5/9th full.
Thomas Cheney , 18 Jul, 2011
Marine Engineer
Airlines can choose between 2-5-2 and 3-3-3 seating. Most airlines choose 3-3-3.
If I had to fly 9 flights once in each seat, and had to choose one confirguration over another, I would prefer 2-5-2. That way most of the time I am only 1 seat from the isle.
And, the one time I was in the middle of 5, I could choose which side was easier to get out on (depending on who was awake or who was smallest).
Mark Wales , 14 Jul, 2012
Marine Engineer
Airlines can choose between 3-3-3 and 2-5-2. Most choose 3-3-3.
I prefer 2-5-2. If I had to fly 9 flights and had to choose one configuration or the other for all flights, I would rather have 2-5-2. (I hope this makes sense.)
This way most of the time you are at most 1 seat from the isle.
And that 1 time in 9 you are in the 'bad' seat (middle of 5), you can choose which side to get out on (based on either who is awake or who is smaller)
Mark Wales , 14 Jul, 2012

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com