(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Flying on the Boeing 777 > Could the Boeing 777 fly on one engine?
Could the Boeing 777 fly on one engine?
Flying - Flying on the Boeing 777
Tuesday, 11 December 2007 21:38

If an engine fails on the Boeing 777, how does it affect the performance of the airplane ?

Although engine failure is extremely rare, it is not a major problem should one of them ever failed. The Boeing 777 is designed to fly for at least 3 hours on one engine for a distance up to 1320 nautical miles or 2110 kilometers. That is further than from New York to Havana in Cuba.

Pilots have been checked every 6 months in even more adverse emergency conditions than just a simple engine failure. Basically, an engine failure merely require a diversion to a suitable airport and there are many such airports within the 3 hours range. However, most Airlines at the moment use 2 hours for planning purposes, to fly on one engine should the need arise for an unforeseen diversion. So if an engine fails within 850 nautical miles (2 hours flight) of your intended destination, you may even arrive safely at your airport without any sweat !

Hello Capt Lim,

I read your comments about flying with one engine. I was on a Newark- Denver on a B777 yesterday that had the left engine failed on the takeoff roll. We were just getting started so it was no biggie, but I wonder what might happen if we were past the point of stopping in time?

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

This is a good question. All pilots have been trained to recognize at least three important speeds prior to take off, namely V1, VR and V2 .

V1 is the take off decision speed whereby if the take off is continued after an engine failure, it will be possible to continue the take off safely. It is also the speed whereby, if the Captain abandoned the take off, it will be possible to bring the aircraft to a safe stop within the remaining Runway.

VR is the rotation speed where the Captain begins to rotate the aircraft to lift off attitude and climb away safely.

V2 is the Take Off Safety and Initial Climb Speed to achieve a certain height at a certain distance.

I would not like to bore you with further related technicalities but your question was, what might happen if you were past the point of stopping in time? Well you are then above the V1 Speed (if I interpret your question correctly) and the Captain's decision is to continue the take off without any problem. He has to make a quick decision either to go or no-go. ' Go' means continue after V1 and 'no-go' means abort the take off before V1.

The Captain in the B777 you referred to must have aborted the take-off before V1 and he was very sure he could stop within the remaining Runway. So he would not have the problem of not stopping in time. If he had made a bad decision that would not allow him to stop in time, (depending on the length of the Runway), it would we quite disastrous.

Anyway, the B777 is a very safe and comfortable aircraft to fly as a passenger and all B777 pilots are checked on handling engine failures and aborted take offs every six months.

I hope I have answered your question. Have a safe flight always !

Hi Capt Lim.

Thank you for a very interesting answer. So, a Boeing 777 CAN take off safely with only one engine then?

Thanks Bill

Hi Bill,

Just a small clarification.. You don't plan to take off with one engine.. you only continue to take off with one engine, PROVIDED the aircraft speed has passed V1 (about 145 to 180 mph, depending on weight of aircraft) after an engine failure.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (7)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
... , Low-rated comment [Show]
B777 FIRE CARGO AFT/FWD NON NORMAL CK LIST
G EVE Captain,
as a F/O flying on B777 I'm wondering: in order to minimize the leakage out of the extinguisher, a proc step is to pull landing alt sel knob on and set 8000ft. Thus, considering a cabin altitude of 5000/6000ft during cruise, wouldn't it lead to initially open the outflow valves? Isn't it unfavorable for this non normal condition?
Neither the FCOM2 nor the B777 transition course illustrate the results of this proc step in details.

Would you help me Captain?

Best regards
francesco m. ferraresi , 23 Apr, 2012
Otim
Hi Captain Lim, I want to refer to MD 11 in case of engine failure can it fly using the top engine at the back, and what is the purpose of that engine other than burning fuel for free.

Thanks
Robert , 14 Mar, 2014
conserving fuel
could a 777 be flown with one engine for a time to conserve fuel, then restart the engine to fly over mountains?
Donmesa , 17 Mar, 2014
Can A Boeing 777 fly on 1 engine to save fuel and fly further
HI! Captain,

I was just wandering if a Boeing 777 can fly on 1 engine
to save fuel and to fly further?
Bala , 19 Mar, 2014
UAL-B777 flies 192 min one engine
In March 17,2009 a UAL B777, flight 842, with 255 passengers flying from Auckland, New Zeland to Los Angeles was well pass the midway point when an engine was shutdown and diverted to Kona, Hawaii. This diversion took 192 minutes flight time on one engine.

As you can see it can fly on one engine for a long period and they have to be certified.
Julio Cesar , 21 Apr, 2014
Engines turn or people swim
Etops is an FAA regulation allowing aircraft with two engines, previously unable to, on a single engine in event of failure or damage for a given flight time and or distance (varies between carriers). I believe that if the b737 flys to hawaii, the apu must be on the entire flight.
Shawn , 08 Jul, 2014

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com