here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Seeking a flying car
Malaysia has excess inexperienced (new graduates)

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi capt lim, all of requirement i pass but i wear

Bumps in the Air
i live in bangladesh.. and im a boy who just passe

How to unfreeze an A
Hello Sir,If let say I am having PPL licence and I

A Boeing 777 can’t f
Hi Fitted very powerful jets engines ever made ca

Does a jet aircraft
Everything is relative. What do you have as a poin

Should I enrol at th
Will there any cadet pilot programme available for

I'm deathly scared o
I have been terrified to go up in any kind of airc

Does a jet aircraft
Some of you people responding have a shoddy grasp

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi captain lim, I would like to ask for your opin

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Flying on the Boeing 777 > Was the computer flying the Boeing 777 all the way from Amsterdam?
Was the computer flying the Boeing 777 all the way from Amsterdam?
Flying - Flying on the Boeing 777
Monday, 09 March 2009 13:30

Hi Captain Lim,

I have a question about the Boeing 777. I flew Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur in 2002 and just moments after the start of the descent, the pilot disengaged all engine power. That means we were gliding in our descent. It was very quiet in the cabin and our turns/movements were extremely precise. Do you think this was caused by a computer controlling the plane???

On the final approach, it was still very quiet in the cabin and I am not sure if the pilot used engine power at all before the touchdown at Runway 32L at KLIA.

Is this possible or must the pilot in this case have engaged some engine power to stay within the glide slope and to maintain sufficient airspeed???

I do not remember if the aircraft had full flaps selected. The weather was dark; it was before dawn and lightning was in the distance.

I experienced the same thing on my return to Amsterdam a few weeks later, but then it felt like the pilot turned off the autopilot just a few feet above the runway and took the airplane down manually. He had to do some corrections though, as we were going slightly sideways a little bit...

I hope you can help me with this alt

Gaute

Hi Gaute,

Yes, about 95 to 98 % of your Boeing 777 flight was controlled by computers. Of course the main computer was managed by a human - the pilot when you flew between Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur!

On landing at Kuala Lumpur, the captain could even auto land the plane in good weather condition (KLIA is not certified for actual auto land in bad weather). The touchdown can be very smooth and comfortable. All the power settings for the landing could be controlled by the automatic thrust except that the pilot need only select the reversers after landing. So during the approach to land, the speed and power control are on automation if the pilot elects to do so.

All landings are normally on full flaps as this would shorten the stopping distance.

If the captain was auto-landing the plane at Amsterdam, the autopilot would only be disengaged on the runway at a safe taxing speed on the runway.

Normally, the autopilot would be selected off above 200 feet and not “just a few feet above the runway” in case the pilot decides to take over manually. This would give him sometime to get a feel of the plane if he wants to hone his manipulative skills.

The Boeing 777 (Simulated)

United Airlines Boeing 777 (Simulated)

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
That's cool
Rahul , 25 Apr, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com