(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Flying the Plane > How to fly a stable visual approach on a Boeing 707?
How to fly a stable visual approach on a Boeing 707?
Flying - Flying the Plane
Monday, 02 January 2012 10:15

Boeing 707 ILS Approach at Perth

Dear Captain Lim,

I would like to take a moment to applaud you on your great website. Thank you for taking your time and answering everyone's questions.

I hope you could help me with a problem I'm having at the moment.

I'm a young Commercial Pilot and was offered employment after nearly two years of getting my CPL.

After applying to so many airlines, I was finally offered an opportunity to fly a Boeing 707 out of the Middle East provided I paid for my Initial Type Rating.

Without hesitation, I managed to secure a bank loan and subsequently completed my type rating and also my Base Check.

I've completed about 100 hours on the B707 to date, and have performed very well (based on the fact of my low flying experience of 250 hours and a twin engine rating only).

I'm now preparing for my first Line Check on the aircraft, but here is where the problem comes in:

During the approach phase, I seem to be struggling on getting the aircraft stable as I disconnect the autopilot, usually at base leg.

Once cleared for the instrument approach, everything happens simultaneously, (need to maintain altitude, maintain flap minimum speed, monitoring to turn final so I don’t overshoot the Localizer) so I tend to always mess up the approach.

My instructor captain says my scan is slow.

At the moment, I become totally fixated on my ADI and forget about my speed and altitudes.

At times, I notice my speed dropping and respond by adding power, she then starts to climb and thus I lose my glide slope.

Could you kindly give me some advice and how I could prepare and take control of this and make my approaches perfect?

Thank you in advance,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

First of all, you have taken a good step to keep yourself in touch with flying even though the Boeing 707 is a rather old plane.

Nevertheless, the experience and hours you accumulate will soon be useful when you apply for your next flying job.

I have not flown a Boeing 707 but I think the conventional technique is still the same. In fact, after flying the Boeing 707, you may find that your manipulative skills will get better than those who are used to more automated planes such as the Airbuses or Boeings. The only disadvantage is that you will not have any glass cockpit experience.

Back to flying a stable visual approach -  after disconnecting the auto pilot – proper scanning of instruments is vital. You have to remember the correct pitch attitude and power settings provided you are on the correct profile.

If your profile is out, the correct pitch attitude and power settings will not work. Use the '300 feet per nautical mile' rule – one mile to threshold you should be 300 feet above ground level, 2 miles - 600 feet, 3 miles - 900 feet, etc. as a rule of thumb for your profile.

When you are on centre line (make use your ILS Localizer if available) and glide path (make use of your ILS Glide Slope), remember, “APT”. A = Attitude. P = Power. T = Trim.

Ask your instructor or another experienced B707 pilot what is the correct attitude and remember the pitch.

Similarly, find out the range of the power settings and remember that approximate figure.

Trim the plane well. If you have one engine out, you have to trim the ‘ball’ to around the centre so that you don’t have to fight the rudder! If you get these 3 steps right, it would reduce your workload in flying a stabilized approach.

As I have mentioned, I have not flown a Boeing 707 and what I have said may not be complete.

I wish you more perfect approaches in your flying

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Boeing 707 Landing at Ankara Airport

Boeing 707 landing in old Kai Tak Airport Hong Kong

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com