here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Seeking a flying car
Malaysia has excess inexperienced (new graduates)

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi capt lim, all of requirement i pass but i wear

Bumps in the Air
i live in bangladesh.. and im a boy who just passe

How to unfreeze an A
Hello Sir,If let say I am having PPL licence and I

A Boeing 777 can’t f
Hi Fitted very powerful jets engines ever made ca

Does a jet aircraft
Everything is relative. What do you have as a poin

Should I enrol at th
Will there any cadet pilot programme available for

I'm deathly scared o
I have been terrified to go up in any kind of airc

Does a jet aircraft
Some of you people responding have a shoddy grasp

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi captain lim, I would like to ask for your opin

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Flying the Plane > Will a strong headwind make the plane lift off earlier?
Will a strong headwind make the plane lift off earlier?
Flying - Flying the Plane
Wednesday, 28 August 2013 09:23

Airbus A380 rear view Take Off

Dear Captain Lim,

Thank you for all the articles you have written here in your site and in AirAsia Travel 3Sixty segment. I have always found your explanations very clear and really appreciate reading every one of your articles.

I read in your article "Winds Beneath Your Wings"  which mentioned that a strong headwind will help the aircraft take off faster.

Could I ask how this is so, I am assuming the aircraft during take-off with an opposing headwind, would only cause it to take a longer time to reach the rotation speed, wouldn't it?

Thank you for taking time to answer this question

Sean

Hi Sean,

During a take-off, a headwind is an advantage as it causes the airflow over the wings to increase, hence generating more lift for the plane to take off. Additionally, the take-off distance is reduced.

For example, on an Airbus A330, a 10-knots headwind on a warm day with a temperature of 30 degrees Celsius would rotate at higher speed and carry more load than a 10-knot tailwind would. This would translate into getting the plane off the ground earlier as the effective runway distance is considerably reduced.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Delta Boeing 777 landing at Atlanta

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (2)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
frequent flier perspective
Captain Lim is right but understanding the physics of the problem.

Pretend you are the plane, you take off without a breeze and it takes you 5000 feet to lift off at 200 kph - you are probably a 757-200.smilies/smiley.gif Now standing still with a 20 kph wind in your face, you feel like you are going 20 kph without even moving. So it will take you less time and distance to get to 200 kph (since you only need 180 kph to take off now, 180 kph + 20 kph = 200 kph). The extra wind doesn't add any extra drag since you the plane have to get to that speed anyway. With a 20 mph wind in your back, you get pushed forward and have to make up that wind so you need to reach 220 kph (220 kph - 20 kph = 200 kph take off speed), which will take you much longer.
Kevin , 17 Sep, 2013
Gusts are the problem
If the wind is constant, it's ok.
However, if the wind is gusting, we should be careful.
Rotating at a speed which takes in consideration the head wind is dangerous when the wind is gusting.
Suppose the rotation speed is 150knots and we have a head wind of 30knots. If we rotate at 120knots we are counting on the wind to get 120+30=150, and if the wind suddenly stops, you'll be back to 120knots immediately what is not enough to produce lift for rotation. If the plane is already off the ground it's gonna fall for lack of lift at 120knots.
If my rotation speed is 150knots and I have a head wind of 30 knots I would rotate at 180knots for safety as we can never be sure that the wind will keep blowing and I wouldn't rely on the wind.
Is that right, Captain?
Carlos Roberto Abreu Moreira , 01 Apr, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com