(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Flying the Plane > Does an airplane fly 3 degrees upwards or downwards during the cruise?
Does an airplane fly 3 degrees upwards or downwards during the cruise?
Flying - Flying the Plane
Tuesday, 30 December 2014 17:03

Angle of Attack and you

Hi Captain Lim

I have just finished reading a book about flying that I bought on a trip to Taiwan. From the book I know that an aircraft is flying at around 3 degrees when cruising in the air. I also know that the table on the passenger's seat is also designed to be at 3 degrees.

I have a question. Is the aircraft flying upwards at 3 degrees or downwards at 3 degrees? And if it flies upwards at 3 degrees, will it climb to a higher level? Flying from an opposite direction, would it descend at 3 degrees towards the ground?

Thank you for your answer.

Amelia

Hi Amelia,

What you have read is partly correct.

In aerodynamics, the 3 degrees you mentioned in known as the angle of attack (or alpha angle). It is in fact the angle of the wing chord to the relative air flow. I don’t want to be too technical. Take relative air flow as the flow of air parallel to the earth. In other words, when a plane is cruising at a constant height, say at 35,000 feet, it is flying at that constant height but its angle of attack is still at 3 degrees. It does not climb. The 3 degrees provides the lift to maintain that constant height.

As a rule of thumb, passenger planes are designed to cruise with a two or three degree nose-up angle at cruise flight. Engineers have a good idea of the angle of attack required to produce the required lift at cruise. As such, they may design table on passengers’ seat to cater for the inclination.

I believe the Airbus A330 is designed with a slight nose-down angle when parked on the tarmac so as to give it a more level cabin attitude in flight.

In some planes, the angle of attack or pitch angle may change slightly in flight depending on the load. For example, a Boeing 777 may take off with 100 ton of fuel during the takeoff but burns off 90 tons during landing at the destination. As such, the weight change is quite big.

A 2 degrees of pitch up would cause the front end of a Boeing 777 (about 209 feet or 60m) long to be about 7 feet (2m) higher than the back during the cruise.

A plane does not fly 3 degrees down during the cruise. But is flies a 3 degrees gradient during an approach in an auto land. In aerodynamic, a 3 degrees gradient and a 3 degrees angle of attack is different. Please watch the video above and below on what angle of attack is all about.

To answer your question again, a plane flying at 3 degrees (angle of attack) will not climb but maintain a constant altitude. It does not fly 3 degrees (gradient) down unless coming in for a landing.

How Airplanes Fly

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for referring to it as Relative Airflow. One country calls it Relative Wind and it drive me nuts when reading any of their PoF material.

To me, relative wind is a result of when my cousin has eaten too much cabbage at dinner the previous night. smilies/grin.gif
Joseph King , 25 Aug, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com