(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > General > Is it true that pilots never panic?
Is it true that pilots never panic?
Professional Pilots - General
Sunday, 29 October 2006 06:38
Hello Captain,

I*ve heard that pilots never panic. Is there some kind of special training for pilots to make sure that they do not buckle under pressure?

Thanks,

Amit

Hi Amit,

I would not totally agree with your statement that pilots never panic. Pilots are human just like anyone else. We share all kind of emotions? happiness, anger, fear, etc.

Panic, we all know, is something that causes a period of intense fear or discomfort in a person - often accompanied by a sense of imminent danger.

The natural role of the anxiety leading to panic appears to guide us toward immediate evasive action, be it 'flight or fight'?.

We were 'designed' by evolution to work effectively within our natural environment and when we create technologies that do not conform to the rules of the natural world, we increase the odds of panic. But panic can be overcome.

You may see pilots being cool or acting confidently in a real emergency. In reality, they have no time to panic because they have been me' and all sorts of emergency procedural training in the simulator, ensuring that, should a real emergency arises one day, they will know exactly what to do.

So, should an engine fail during a take off (after the safety speed), say on an Airbus A320 - the workload is rather heavy. The pilot conscientiously runs through the steps that he was taught: use the rudder to keep the aircraft on the runway centerline, rotate to about 12 -13 degrees pitch and trim out the rudder pressure (count about 15 seconds) before selecting the autopilot on.

At above 400 feet agl (above ground level), the emergency drills are executed. The pilot needs to know which engine had failed and whether it was a flame out or the engine was severely damaged. He then must decide whether to relight the engine that had flamed out or activate the fire extinguisher and shut down the bad engine.

When at the acceleration altitude (between 800-1500 feet), the airplane is leveled off, flaps are then retracted and the pilot has to make a distress call. He needs to keep the control tower, crew, passengers and the company informed. Thereafter, he has to prepare the aircraft for a landing by reprogramming the computer.

What I have described is just a brief summary only but oh boy, in a real situation, the pilot is so occupied that he hardly had time to panic!

Well, we need to expect panic and understand how it can affect a pilot if he were not well prepared and trained. So the best way to forestall any panic is to prepare ahead of time.

Yes, there is definitely some kind of special training for pilots to make sure that they do not buckle under pressure!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Evo
Capt, you are wrong in giving evolution credit for design. The chance of it happening is 1 in 10 to the power of 40,000. The probability is like taking one atom out of the universe, painting it red, putting it back in, and drawing it out by random.

Reflect on it.
Servant of Christ , 23 Feb, 2014

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com