here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Seeking a flying car
Malaysia has excess inexperienced (new graduates)

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi capt lim, all of requirement i pass but i wear

Bumps in the Air
i live in bangladesh.. and im a boy who just passe

How to unfreeze an A
Hello Sir,If let say I am having PPL licence and I

A Boeing 777 can’t f
Hi Fitted very powerful jets engines ever made ca

Does a jet aircraft
Everything is relative. What do you have as a poin

Should I enrol at th
Will there any cadet pilot programme available for

I'm deathly scared o
I have been terrified to go up in any kind of airc

Does a jet aircraft
Some of you people responding have a shoddy grasp

Cadet Pilots and Pil
Hi captain lim, I would like to ask for your opin

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > General > Is it true that computers on the Airbus make the final decision and a pilot cannot override it?
Is it true that computers on the Airbus make the final decision and a pilot cannot override it?
Professional Pilots - General
Saturday, 01 October 2005 20:03

Hi Captain Lim,

I have a somewhat neurotic co-worker who refuses to fly on an Airbus. His simple and somewhat succinct response is ?The computer makes the final decision on the Airbus and the pilot cannot override it.?

I am not a pilot or anything close to the airline fraternity but I do have some common sense. When the latest little problem happened on a Jet Blue in LA, I noticed the pilot held the nose up on the aircraft far longer than usual on a landing. At least it seemed that way to me. So if the computer cannot be overridden then how was the pilot able to hold the nose up if in fact he did.

Basically, I would like to have hear from a professional that his statement ?The computer makes the final decision on the Airbus and the pilot cannot override it.? is either true or false - with some reference to back it up.

Thanks for your time.

Mark,
Richmond BC,
Canada.

Hi Mark,

No, it is not absolutely true. Your co-worker*s response ("The computer makes the final decision on the Airbus and the pilot cannot override it") was not very specific and it could be misunderstood. Even though there is an ongoing debate as to whether pilots or a computer has the final say in a commercial jetliner when the plane approaches the design limits in an emergency, an air traveler, who is not clear as to how Boeing and Airbus apply the fly-by-wire technology on their planes, may become fearful - believing that the computer or a robot on the Airbus would completely take over control of the flying from a human being.

At the root of the controversy is, Airbus prefers computers to take over when its planes are flown towards it design limits whereas Boeing believes pilots should have the ultimate say. So, on the Boeing jets, the pilot can override their on-board computers and fly the plane manually in an emergency. (Please read one recent Boeing 777 case written by the Editor of AirlineSafety.com
here)

On all modern Airbus planes, starting from the A320 up to the A340, computers prevent the pilot from climbing above 30 degrees (might lose all lift and crash) or pitch down below 15 degrees (prevent overspeed). Furthermore, it would not allow the pilot to bank or roll more than 67 degrees or make any maneuvers greater than 2.5 times the force of gravity. In other words, if a nutty pilot (or an intruder) decides to pull, push or roll the control to its maximum force, the computers would keep the plane from stalling or dropping off the sky!

Which philosophy is better? Pilots from the 2 sides have rather strong opinions - both have good and legitimate arguments. The compromise? Both Boeing and Airbus should incorporate the best of both worlds into their future cockpit designs.

Despite the diplomacy to the arguments, there are still nagging discussion by others that the Boeing 757 accident at Colombia in 1995 could have been prevented had the speed brake retracted as the pilot increased power to climb away. The Airbus A320 would have done just that but Boeing argued that it would still have hit the ridges even if the speed brakes had been retracted.

On the other hand, at least six A320 have also crashed despite the Airbus philosophy. Yes, computer sometimes becomes too smart! In 1988, one of the first Airbus 320 jets crashed during an air show in Habsheim, France. The pilots were supposed to fly low with the gears down at 100 feet. Instead, they went down to 30 feet. As far as the computer was concerned, when a plane descends below 50 feet, it assumes that the plane is making a landing. Indeed, the plane just did that and landed on top of the trees! Since then, rigorous pilot training and modification of the fly-by-wire system has reduced similar event. (Before this crash, there was belief that Airbus had finally designed a crash-proof airplane.)

You refer to the A320 JetBlue incident at LA; I believe the pilot did a manual landing and not an auto landing as he had more control of the nose wheel when he lowered it gently onto the runway. 
Of course, he could override the computers for the landing. The only difference is that, instead of manually trimming the elevators as the plane progressively decelerated, the trimming of the back forces was done automatically.

In the case that you mentioned, it is not true that the computers made the final decision and could not be overridden. It could - Captain Scott Burke beautifully controlled it during the landing!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Intelligent man
I think of how weird my personal computer can get at times and I think of if it was controlling an airliner we'd be in a lot of trouble. You can tell me the computers are different, but computers are computers and I don't want them deciding anything when at 35,000 feet in the air. I'll take a chance on the pilot first. If you trace all of this it will have to do with money. Watch....soon they'll be one pilot in an aircraft and they'll count the computer as the co-pilot. Too many Airbus crashes....the public needs to shout...no way!!!
William skipper , 31 Oct, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com