(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Licenses & Ratings > Effect of the Multi-crew Pilot License (MPL) program to existing license holders
Effect of the Multi-crew Pilot License (MPL) program to existing license holders
Professional Pilots - Licenses & Ratings
Written by Capt Lim   
Saturday, 30 July 2011 15:08

MPL Program at Oxford

Dear Capt Lim,

Thanks for answering my question about the type rating. Recently DCA (Malaysia) has announced via the latest AIC (see here) about the Multi-Crew Pilot License (Aeroplane).

What is the impact of this new license to our traditional CPL/IR with Frozen APTL?

Some countries are starting to sell the position for FO with MCPL. I seriously doubt that pilots can get the training position at any of the airlines in Malaysia. There are even news (unofficial) that said 7 of the flying school in Malaysia are going to close down and leaves only two to train the airline pilots for the Multi-Crew Pilot License (Aeroplane).

I am not sure how true this is but if it is, I believe public deserve to know this.

My personal opinion is that privately trained pilots find it difficult to get the job and/or to get training at the airlines to unfreeze their licenses as they prefer to train their own pilots for the Multi-Crew Pilot License (Aeroplane)

I hope to get your professional point of view to clear this cloud for all the pilots trained at Malaysia and also for their future career benefit.

Hope to get reply from you soon.

Many thanks in advance

David,

Hi David,

For your information, the Multi-crew Pilot License (MPL) was incorporated into ICAO in November 2006.

The training for MPL makes greater use of simulators and applies human factors and threat and error management in all the phases of the training. Traditional training methods emphasize independence and individual skills. While appropriate for single-pilot operations, they have found to impede the transfer towards multi-crew operations in the airlines.

However, pilots will still be able to take the traditional pathway to qualifying to fly as co-pilot, progressing from the private pilot license through the commercial license to the air transport pilot license.

In the past, most pilots have military background and the system of Private Pilot License (PPL) and Commercial Pilot License (CPL) has existed for the past few decades. The MPL is implemented to skip the training for the current Commercial Pilot License with instrument rating and allow the pilot to work towards the ‘frozen’ airline transport pilot license (ATPL).

The Multi-Crew Pilot License program can produce co-pilot in 240 hours, of which 210 hours is in simulators. This training program can be completed in 45 weeks as compared to 18 months to 2 years in the current existing system..

Sad, but true, the MPL will soon be what the airlines would be looking at because of the cost and speed of training of new co pilots for the airlines.

I believe the Asian Aviation Academy, a joint venture between Air Asia and CAE Kuala Lumpur are in the process of starting with the MPL program. You can find out more from my previous answers to you by contacting Kevin Foo. (see here)

As regards to the closure of some of the Flying Schools, I cannot confirm it.

I hope all those with CPL/IR and frozen ATPL would be absorbed by the airlines before the MPL comes fully on line.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Multicrew Training Course

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (5)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
The MPL Program
Dear Capt Lim

Thanks for your input on MPL. Just want to clarify further, since the MPL seen to be more effective way to train the co-pilot, is this program was open to private candidates to pursue the MPL course rather then traditional PPL, CPL, IR, APTL?

How much it will cost ?

Best Regards

DAVID
David , 03 Aug, 2011
The MPL Program

Yes, this program is open to private candidates. Please contact Kevin Foo as listed above for more details...
Capt KH Lim , 03 Aug, 2011
The MPL Program
Dear Capt Lim

Correct me if I am wrong, in the near future, the private funded pilot would need to have at least a type rating with the valid CPL/IR and F.APTL in order to be competitive to join the airline.

It will cost about RM 500,000.00 (RM 250,000 for the CPL/IR F.APTL RM 250,000 for the type rating and the Multi Craw course on A320 or B 773 Narrow body aircraft) just to get self prepare for the airline to absorb you to flying their aircraft.

Otherwise the only place to go is to become the flying club instructor..

B. Regards

DAVID
David , 03 Aug, 2011
The MPL Program

Yes, you would stand a better chance of being employed...smilies/sad.gif
Capt KH Lim , 03 Aug, 2011
The MPL Program
Dear capt Lim
i need to know which one is more internationally accepted...because am hearing some rumor that its CPL that is more accepted.if some one graduated with MPL at one airline he can't fly other airlines aircraft?...is it right?
DAGMAWI , 09 May, 2013

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com