What are the eyesigh
Captain, I am in class 11 in India and want to bec

What are the eyesigh
PLEASE stop asking about your eyes!!! Read the art

Vomiting on long hau
I have traveled a lot (almost 2 million miles) the

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Licenses & Ratings > Could an A320 pilot fly a Boeing 777 if he has no experience on type?
Could an A320 pilot fly a Boeing 777 if he has no experience on type?
Professional Pilots - Licenses & Ratings
Written by Capt Lim   
Tuesday, 26 June 2007 07:16

Hello Captain Lim,

I would like to ask you a few questions.

Upon my graduation at Asia Pacific Flight Training Academy in Malaysia (KELANTAN), I will receive my CPL and Frozen ATPL. I am a privately funded cadet.

However, I would like to pursue my career with Air Asia. It requires an Airbus A320 Type Rating.

In US, there is a type-rating course for A320 at $14,800.00 U.S.D.

Right now, I worry whether the type rating can be used for my ICAO ATPL.

LASTLY, if I wish to fly a Boeing 777 - can I just take the Type Rating (B777) and then accumulate the flight hours; or do I have to gain the flight hours only with the Boeing 777 plane or just any other plane will do if I have the type rating?

Does this mean that an A320 pilot with B777 type rating, but no experience on B777, can fly a B777?

I really do look forward to your reply.

Thank you very much.

Captain Aero

Hi Captain Aero,

To get your US A320 type rating endorsed into your CPL/Frozen ATPL, you would require the Malaysian DCA's approval. It is best you write/email ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) or visit them for advice on this issue. (You can also get a glimpse of some minor information in the Malaysian DCA's Abridged Guide on How To Become A Pilot
here.)

My advice ? get your Airbus A320 rating from Air Asia (I believe, around MYR 75,000.00 or about USD22, 000.00). If you factor in the lodging, traveling expenses and DCA problem of rating recognition, it may worth your while even though it may be more expensive.

If you get a B777 type rating, (presumably from US?), you have to fly and accumulate flying hours on that plane so as to be qualified on type. The catch question is, who would allow you to fly the B777 unless you are employed by an airline operating the aircraft?

For instance, Qatar Airways is now recruiting First Officer on the B777 - see
here.

First Officer (B777)

Requirements

? Total minimum hours 1000
? 500 hours on type
? Valid ICAO ATPL or frozen ICAO ATPL
? Below 50 years of age for type rated applicants.

These positions carry all inclusive average monthly remuneration packages of approximately US$ 9,900 (equivalent QAR 36,100) for First Officers inclusive of housing allowance. Other benefits include Meal allowances, School fee subsidy for children and Loss of License/Medical/Group Life Insurances. All remuneration is TAX FREE.

From the requirements, you are not qualified even though you may have the type rating because you do not have 500 hours (experience) on type. It would also rule an Airbus A320 pilot with a B777 type rating out if he has no experience on the B777.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (5)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
A320 + B777
Hi Captains Lim and Aero,
I am so happy to co-oporate you in this subject, presently all the new pilots which they have no hours experience also at the same time they have 2 kinds of Type Rating ex. A320 & B777 (because you can take 2 TR 320+777 in Germany "cockpit4u") but the trouble is concerning in the hours that you have in each aircraft may be A320 you have got 500 Hours but B777 you have got 10 Hours, that means BIG DIFFERENCE. From my experience and my known THERE IS A GOOD SOLUTION which is when you get more that 1000 Hours in JET AIRCRAFT total you will be able to fly B777 as a First Officer.
My Advice is, Get 1 TR and the money of B777 use it in studying to get MASTER in AVIATION MANAGEMENT for example, After that you will have a lot of chances believe me.
Yours, D. Captain. Samer
D. Captain. Samer , 29 Aug, 2009
A320 + B777
Hi Captains Lim and Aero,
I am so happy to co-oporate you in this subject, presently all the new pilots which they have no hours experience also at the same time they have 2 kinds of Type Rating ex. A320 & B777 (because you can take 2 TR 320+777 in Germany "cockpit4u") but the trouble is concerning in the hours that you have in each aircraft may be A320 you have got 500 Hours but B777 you have got 10 Hours, that means BIG DIFFERENCE. From my experience and my known THERE IS A GOOD SOLUTION which is when you get more that 1000 Hours in JET AIRCRAFT total you will be able to fly B777 as a First Officer.
My Advice is, Get 1 TR and the money of B777 use it in studying to get MASTER in AVIATION MANAGEMENT for example, After that you will have a lot of chances believe me.
Yours, D. Captain. Samer
D. Captain. Samer , 29 Aug, 2009
I WAN TO BE AN AIR TRAN SPORT PILOT
I AM IN HIGH SCOOL KNOW THIS IS MY LAST YEAR AND I AM CONFUSED WHICH TIPE OF AIR CRAFT WILL I TAKE AFTER I FINSH MY HIGH SCHOOL.I WANT TO BE A PILOT OF AIR TRANSPORT LIKE BOEING 777-300ER OR AIR BUS A380

mr william , 27 Dec, 2009
when we r out of tarining , we have few 100 hrs btu airliners require 1000+ hrs,how to make up fro that???
mannan , 04 Dec, 2011
Regarding ATR 72 -600 simulator for FSX
I plan to do ATR 72 -600 type rating , for that before go for training I plan to do some practice in FSX simulator I can't find ATR 72 600 in FSX where I can possibly purchase add on if any prescribed website help me out. Thanks captain
Sethunathan paramasivam , 03 Sep, 2017

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com