(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Licenses & Ratings > Do I need to do any type rating to be more marketable?
Do I need to do any type rating to be more marketable?
Professional Pilots - Licenses & Ratings
Written by Capt Lim   
Friday, 11 November 2005 19:55

Dear Capt Lim,

My name is Sergio I'm from Argentina and I find your your website very interesting.

Let me tell you a little about my situation: I'm pilot since 9 years now, and here in Argentina where I live, it is very complicated to find a pilot job.

I'm 29 year old and I have logged 1200 hours with 250 hours as PIC (pilot-in-charge) in a Cessna 402 - that is the airplane that Im flying now. I really want to change my job but I don*t know how to do it since I find it very difficult to get hired from an Asian company, especially from a pilot without any jet experience or type rating.

Do I need to do any type rating to be more marketable? I have emailed almost every Asian airlines without positive results. I fell very discouraged for being unable to change to a bigger airplane or find a better job.

I hope you can give me some advice on where or how to do it.

Thanks and best regards!

Sergio

Hi Sergio,

The reason why you have not received any positive responses from any Asian airline yet is because you may not have met their minimum requirements. Most airlines would require you to have jet experience.

Cathay Pacific Airways is currently looking for Direct Entry pilots for position of First Officers and Second Officers. Since you do not qualify for position as First Officers as you do not have jet experience, you can perhaps try for the post of Second Officer.

(See
here) for Position of Second Officer:

Within Cathay Pacific, the Second Officer is considered an integral part of the flight crew with specific responsibilities. The primary functions of the Second Officer are to act as a cruise relief pilot, to monitor all facets of the operation and to support the crew. Second Officers operate on Cathay Pacific*s fleet of Boeing 747-400 and Airbus A340-300 and A340-600 aircraft, operating worldwide on longhaul routes.

Minimum Requirements

All Second Officer applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:

An ICAO Airline Transport Pilot*s License (ATPL) (obtained without exemptions) or ICAO Commercial Pilot*s License (CPL) (obtained without exemptions) with passes in all ATPL ground examinations
A Valid Multi-Engine Instrument Rating
A minimum of 1000 hours fixed wing (preference will be given to applicants with turbine or multi-engine experience)
Experience commensurate with age
A current Class One Medical
Fluent spoken & written English

Do you satisfy all the minimum requirements? Do you have an ICAO ATPL that is recognized? If not, you have to get it converted
. The website states that you must have 1000 hours fixed wing but preference will be given to those with turbine or multi-engine experience.

If you think you can satisfy their requirements, you can try writing in and hope that they will call you.

Doing a type rating may be an advantage to a small charter company or a low cost carrier but it is only of a slight advantage to a major airline as they want you to have real jet experence and not just 5 or 10 hours!

For further advice and information, please read all the
Pilot Career FAQ in my Website.

Wish you all the best!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
What are the workinng environment for an airline pilots?
Kindda of stuck with my assignment as i've no idea on what's the working environment for 'em. If you will kindly help me.
Hepless , 30 Dec, 2009

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com