Latest Comment

Can you become an ai
Hi captain, I met with a road accident and got a s

Why do I experience
Having just returned from Newfoundland...I had two

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Licenses & Ratings > Many aspiring pilot queries and how to convert an ICAO PPL to a JAA PPL?
Many aspiring pilot queries and how to convert an ICAO PPL to a JAA PPL?
Professional Pilots - Licenses & Ratings
Written by Capt Lim   
Wednesday, 02 January 2008 20:04

Hi Capt Lim,

How are you doing? On enquiries that I have made so far, I would further like to seek your opinion, as I have heard a lot about your good self.

I have a few questions, maybe not that technical as the others, but I hope you could give me an advice or two.

I am interested in flying since my childhood but somehow, due to the some circumstances,
I couldn't do so. I am thinking of doing a PPL and the ATPL. Initially, I would like to do my PPL at a slower pace and then progress, hopefully, within the next 3 years, to become an airline pilot.

Little bit about me: I am an IT graduate with about 2 years experience, based in the United Kingdom. I believe that one has to be good at Maths and Physics, but I don't think mine is good enough at 'O' Levels.

I have been doing a lot of homework on flying by reading books, especially on aviation, and I fly the Flight Simulator. So I do understand the basic flying maneuvers (take off, landing, stalls, taxing, etc), navigation (VOR, GPS), how to read the compass, about flaps, airspeed, autopilot and radio communications.

My question is: Regarding the requirement in the UK or European Union, do I need either a JAA or the CAA equivalent licence if I wish to seek employment in the EU after completing my ATPL as an airline pilot?

Is it cheaper to do my PPL in South East Asia, for instance Malaysia (CAA, I presume) or do it anywhere else and convert it to JAA /CAA equivalent? I would like to keep the costs down.

If I were to do a PPL, can I progress to ATPL? Do I have to do a Night Rating, IR, Multi-Engine Rating, etc?

I am 25 this year. Do you think I am still young enough to become an airline pilot? I believe most airlines take pilots from an early age unless if they have some flying experience.

I would really appreciate if you could give me some advice.

Take care and thanks a lot.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, it is cheaper to do your PPL in South East Asia or even in the USA as compared to getting it in the United Kingdom. However, you may have problems like converting the ICAO license to a JAA license in order for you to fly in the Europeon Union, and also incurring other hidden costs.

For your additional information, the JAA (Joint Aviation Authority of Europe, based in the Netherlands) is the Civil Aviation Government Authority for the Europeon Union. (The JAA member states include the following: Austria - Belgium - Czech Republic - Cyprus - Denmark - Finland - France - Germany - Greece - Hungary - Iceland - Ireland - Italy - Latvia - Luxembourg - Malta - Monaco - The Netherlands - Norway - Poland - Portugal - Romania - Slovak Republic - Slovenia - Spain - Sweden - Switzerland - Turkey and the United Kingdom) The JAA was supposed to 'unite' the Civil Aviation Government Authority of Europe but that has not happened. Instead, there are different 'flavors' of each state, such as the UK CAA, French system, etc.

Assuming you are able to do a PPL cheaply outside the UK, you still have to convert the ICAO (CAA) PPL to a JAA PPL. The following requirements must still be satisfied:

If you have less then 100 hours total flight time:

1. Attain a Class 2 JAA Medical Certificate.
2. Pass ALL 7 JAA Private Pilots Theory examinations
3. Pass the Radio Telephony operators practical test
4. Pass the PPL Skills (flight) test (with training as required to learn the skills to do this)

If you have more than 100 hours total flight time:

1. Attain a Class 2 JAA Medical Certificate
2. Pass the Human Performance & limitations, Airlaw, and Radio Telephony JAA Private Pilots Theory examinations
3. Pass the Radio Telephony operators practical test
4. Pass the PPL Skills (flight) test (with training as required to learn the skills to do this)

I do not have sufficient information now to advise you on the requirement to progress from PPL to ATPL. Normally, you would need to go through a recognized course through approved schools. You should contact the appropriate European Civil Aviation Authority for further advice.

You are still young at 25 years old to commence a flying career in the airlines.

Wish you all the best!

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Is Japanese flight licence recognized in M'sia and S'pore
Hello Captain,
I am going to do PPL and the ATPL in Japan. Will they be recognized in M'sia or S'pore ? Or should I do extra test in order to work for MAS or SIA in the future (assuming that i have the chance) ?
Mave , 02 Oct, 2009

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com