What factors lead a
Hi Captain Lim! Thank you so much Sir, you enligh

What do you think ab
i am from Taiwan, now planing to PEA, but after re

Etihad Airways Cadet
hi sir i am Ashutosh mahajan from india and my dr

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Licenses & Ratings > Will I be good enough to market myself with my future pilot qualifications?
Will I be good enough to market myself with my future pilot qualifications?
Professional Pilots - Licenses & Ratings
Written by Capt Lim   
Wednesday, 04 March 2009 06:07

Hi Capt Lim,

I am 24 years old and I am an aerospace engineer. I have worked for almost 3 years now in a maintenance, repair and overhaul aviation company in the Middle East. I am a citizen of India. I am very keen to become a professional pilot. I have done my proper research but still have a few questions that I thought I should ask.

I have decided to head off to a school in the US in Florida where I can attain both an FAA & JAA CPL license simultaneously. The program is termed as Airline Pilot Program where I earn from zero hours all the way till CPL and get my ATPL and then work as a flight instructor and earn 1500hrs, most of which would be on multi engine.

The school as such doesn’t offer any MCC / Jet transition course. So I plan to separately take up the Jet transition course along with MCC and type rating on A320. There are a few programs where I can get 500hrs on A320. This is an option I would consider in case I still do not get a job. Once I am done with all this, I would head back to India and UAE to convert my license and then try for jobs.

The whole journey to attain all the above may take around 2.5 to 3 years. And, with the current recession, my biggest question is, how the airlines are coping up with this situation. My biggest fear is that after doing all this, I may not land up with a job in spite of spending a lot of money on flight training all the way to type and line training.

I would like to know what you think about the course of the plan that I have chosen and also what do you think about the pilot demands in this recession period.

I am aware that many airlines have placed further orders for aircraft which probably will be delivered to them hopefully by 2010 or 2011. I am sure the pilot demand will still exist. The question is, will whatever path I have chosen be good enough to market myself when I graduate with a CPL, Instructor rating, Type Rating & Line Training.

I would truly appreciate your response.

Regards

Noel Abraham,

Hi Noel,

I think the steps that you have planned for your self look reasonable. The question is, with all the investment into your training, will you be employed at the end of the day?

Well, I hope the recession would be over by 2011 and I firmly believe the air transportation industry would pick up in India or the UAE by then.

Even if you are not immediately employed, you have wisely planned for the Instructor rating. That would help you in the interim in case the global economic is slow to recover.

Yes, there is still demand for pilots in India or the UAE. Be a little patient. Eventually, I believe, you would be absorbed into the airlines.

I wish you all the best alt...

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (4)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Response to query
Hi Capt Lim,

Thanks for the response. Truly appreciate it.

There are a few flight schools who also train their flight students on a few courses in Air Traffic Management or Flight Dispatchers Course specifically for pilots. I do plan to do this also hoping that this would increase the potential of my capabilities as a pilot. Taking into account of the recession, i have smartly planned to start my course by the end of 2009 so that i can graduate by 2011 to 2012 and i truly pressume the economy will hit back to what it used to be before.

Again, thank you so much for your response. The forum and response to queries have truly given me a proper insight to what i need to know. Thank you for having this website up for aspiring pilots.

I shall keep you posted on my flight plan smilies/smiley.gif

Best Regards

Noel Abraham
Noel Abraham , 04 Mar, 2009
Hi capt,

How about demand for pilots in Malaysia?

Regards,
Nigina
nigina , 06 Jul, 2009
Hi capt,
i am currently doing my GCSE's, the thing i want most is to be a pilot,
my maths, science, history and ICT skills are predicted A/A*.
all i want to know is what key skills i will need to be a pilot in the RAF?
thanks
Oli
Oli bennett , 12 Jul, 2009
Hello captain
I am doing my IGCSE's in Singapore now
i've been living in Singapore all my life
I'm particularly good at the following subjects:
-Math
-Business Studies
-ICT
-Biology

I'm not much of a Physics and Chemistry person
I've seen a lot of videos and working of planes
I'm really interested in becoming a pilot and hopefully fly for SIA

Please write soon of what is required of me to become a professional pilot

Thanks
A.B , 22 Feb, 2010

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com