(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Licenses & Ratings > Will we be marketable after 3 years with a B737 classic rating?
Will we be marketable after 3 years with a B737 classic rating?
Professional Pilots - Licenses & Ratings
Written by Capt Lim   
Thursday, 03 March 2011 17:00

Dear Captain Lim,

I am a fresh graduate of a local flying school, privately funded.

Like the other pilot wannabes, I am anxiously and eagerly hunting for a job with our local airlines but unfortunately, I missed the recent Direct Intake held by AK and FY due to technical reason. It would take another half a year for the next call up.

Waiting is killing - waiting to be called up for entry test is indeed a pain in the neck. Some even waited for 1 whole year before they got their chance. After you have been called, you need to face competitive selection processes with just slight chance for you to shine through.

Then I heard this alternative path for us (Fresh Grad pilots). A self-funded type rating for B737-classic with a job guaranteed, offered by our neighbor country - Indonesia. With USD 30 000, you get yourself a rating and a job secured and from what I have heard, the selection process is not as rigorous as our local airlines due to distress demand for pilots over there.

To some people, money is not a problem. But sir, I would like to ask for your opinion regarding this matter as well as advices on the career prospect. There will be 2 - 3 years bond with the airline and by that time we should have enough flying experience to be marketable worldwide.

Sir, we all heard about Indonesia and their safety issues but this opportunity is like a life line for a desperate peasant looking for a job of his/ her dream. With awareness of their safety issues, things that still fogging me is, will we be marketable enough after 3 years working there? Does the fact that we worked for Indo Airlines tarnish our value to be hired by other airlines in the future? Please help.

Thanks for your time and thought sir, really appreciate it.

Regards,

Hazman

Boeing 737-200 Classic
Hi Hazman,

I know it is a dilemma for many graduates who have invested quite a lot of money at the flying schools and still waiting for a flying job.

Yes, the Indonesian opportunity could be a lifeline for some new pilot graduates that have been waiting for job offers. The B737-200 classic is not a great plane to fly as it is rather old with very basic technology. If they promise to give you a conversion onto the Boeing 737-400 planes which have EFIS (electronic flight instrument system), then it would be useful for future job applications.

To be fair, any hours accumulated from flying the B737 classic will count as far as experience is concerned.

Working with an Indo airline would not tarnish your records. Any future flying jobs would depend on your performance, experience and how you carry yourself. You will be surprised that when the job market opens again in Malaysia soon, the hours you have accumulated is an advantage as compared to one who is still waiting.

I wish you all the best.

Boeing 737-200 Classic of European Air Lines

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (0)

Subscribe to this comment's feed

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com