(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Lightnings > How do composite fuselages deal with lightning strikes?
How do composite fuselages deal with lightning strikes?
Weather - Lightnings
Tuesday, 25 June 2013 04:57

Airplane Struck By Lightning

Hi Capt Lim,

How do composite fuselages (i.e. Airbus A350 & Boeing 787) deal with lightning strikes?

Bryan Trill

Hi Bryan,

As I have mentioned in previous answers, lightning strikes are generally quite harmless to airplanes. Even if there is a direct strike, it would not penetrate the cabin; affect the engines or the fuel tanks. When an airplane is struck by lightning, the electrical charges simply travel the length of the aircraft and exit harmlessly through the antenna-like rods at the trailing edges of the flaps or, tail of a plane.

The strike, however, may cause some burn marks on the fuselage skin at the point of impact. The pilot would normally be aware of such a strike and report this incident to the engineers after landing for further inspection and rectification if necessary.

However, with more composite materials being used in planes such as the Airbus A350 and Boeing 787, questions such as yours are increasingly being raised as to how they would take lightning strikes as opposed to the conventional aluminium frames as used in non composite planes.

Researchers found that aluminium behaves better than composite materials.

This is because aluminium is a good conductor of electricity and any powerful strikes were quickly dissipated. Experiments showed that when lightning struck the carbon composite, it didn’t perform as well. This is because carbon-composite materials have far higher electrical resistance than aluminium.

It is the same property which causes electric heaters and light bulbs to become hot when electricity is applied. It will be the integrity of this material which keeps all such aircraft flying.

Engineers proposed several ways of protecting the composites, such as having a layer of metal mesh or thin foil on the top, but this increases the overall weight and means that both the coating and the composite get damaged during rectification. This would make the repair procedure even more complicated on such planes. Dexmet (see video below) has come up with a lightning strike protection for composites with this ‘butt splice application’ to resist damage to the aircraft skin.

Meanwhile, the latest Airbus A350 has just completed the lightning strike tests. Airbus developed a solution where “metallic foils are embedded in the aircraft’s composite panels – increasing the electrical conductivity and protecting harnesses with metallic conduits.”

According to the Boeing 787 website, the entire fuselage, including the skin, formers, and stringers, and the wing of the 787 are made of composites. Their solution – using a wire mesh laminated into the composite parts to provide conductivity so as to dissipate electricity better.

PS. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim

Lightning Strike Test

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (1)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
lightning strike
which part of the composite is damage likely to occur when struck with lightening
joe , 14 Dec, 2015

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com