(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

Latest Comment

Does a jet aircraft
There is almost no curvature, because the Earth is

Does an airline capt
I dont think the interview on our side (nautical)

A successful SIA Cad
I am a 3rd year student in Singapore polytechnic.

Cadet Pilots and Pil
captain how to in to the pilot career, becausee i

The twin-engine vers
Dave, in short, it depends on the severity of the

Engine Failure of QA
I heard the Captain of that flight was undergoing

What are the eyesigh
Sir, I am interested to become an airline pilot! T

My Boyfriend is Deat
4 engines plane more safe, remmember passenger pla

Eyesight requirement
HELLO SIR; I have a specks of 1.0 no. so can i eli

Cadet Pilots and Pil
hi capt lim, i want to know that does the cadet pi

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Home > Medical Examination > Can I be an airline pilot if I have an underbite problem?
Can I be an airline pilot if I have an underbite problem?
Pilot Career - Medical Examination
Saturday, 08 May 2010 02:29

Dear Captain Lim,

I have a medical question to ask you. I am wondering whether I can pass the airline pilot Class 1 Medical Examination. I did some research on the Internet about the Class 1 pilot medical check and found no information about the underbite.

My concern is, I have a slightly protrude lower jaw which has some facial appearance distortion compared to the normal. It is about 2cm outward of the lower jaw to the upper jaw. I have no pronunciation and eating problem. I have a perfectly normal life.
My concern is whether a person with underbite will hinder his dream of becoming an airline pilot.

Thanks,

Jack

Hi Jack,

The FAA requirement does not discriminate one with an underbite problem to be a pilot. If you look at the FAA table below - under EAR, NOSE, THROAT, it merely says that there should be no "disturbance of speech".  So, as long as your speech is normal, I don't see how you can be disqualified from becoming a pilot.

FAA Medical Standards, Protocols and Forms
Synopsis of Medical Standards, AME Guide - Revised April 3, 2006

Certificate Class
Pilot Type
First-Class
Airline Transport
Second-Class
Commercial
Third-Class
Private
DISTANT VISION
20/20 or better in each eye separately, with or without correction.
20/40 or better in each eye separately, with or without correction.
NEAR VISION
20/40 or better in each eye separately (Snellen equivalent), with or without correction, as measured at 16 inches.
INTERMEDIATE
VISION
20/40 or better in each eye separately (Snellen equivalent), with or without correction at age 50 and over, as measured at 32 inches.
No requirement.
COLOR VISION
Ability to perceive those colors necessary for safe performance of airmen duties.
HEARING
Demonstrate hearing of an average conversational voice in a quiet room, using both ears at 6 feet, with the back turned to the examiner OR pass one of the audiometric tests below or:
PULSE
Not disqualifying per se. Used to determine cardiac system status and responsiveness.
BLOOD PRESSURE
No specified values stated in the standards. Current guideline maximum is 155/95.
AUDIOLOGY
Audiometric speech discrimination test: (Score at least 70% discrimination in one ear) or:
Pure tone audiometric test: Unaided, with thresholds no worse than:
                                             500Hz 1,000Hz 2,000Hz 3,000Hz
                      Better Ear         35Db     30Db     30Db     40Db
                      Worst Ear         35Db     50Db     50Db     60Db
EAR, NOSE, THROAT
No ear disease or condition manifested by, or that may reasonably be expected to be manifested by, vertigo or a disturbance of speech or equilibrium.
ELECTRO-CARDIOGRAM
At age 35 & annually after age 40.
Not routinely required.
MENTAL
No diagnosis of psychosis, or bipolar disorder, or severe personality disorders.
SUBSTANCE DEPENDENCE & SUBSTANCE ABUSE
A diagnosis or medical history of substance dependence is disqualifying unless there is established clinical evidence, satisfactory to the Federal Air Surgeon, of recovery, including sustained total abstinence from the substance(s) for not less than the preceding 2 years. A history of substance abuse within the preceding 2 years is disqualifying. Substance includes alcohol and other drugs (i.e., PCP, sedatives and hynoptics, anxiolytics, marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, hallucinogens, and other psychoactive drugs or chemicals).
DISQUALIFYING
CONDITIONS
Airman with these conditions may still be eligible for "Special Issuance" of a medical certificate.
Unless otherwise directed by the FAA, the Examiner must deny or defer if the applicant has a history of: (1) Diabetes mellitus requiring hypoglycemic medication; (2) Angina pectoris; (3) Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated, that has been symptomatic or clinically significant; (4) Myocardial infarction; (5) Cardiac valve replacement; (6) Permanent cardiac pacemaker; (7) Heart replacement; (8) Psychosis; (9) Bipolar disorder; (10) Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts; (11) Substance dependence; (12) Substance abuse; (13) Epilepsy; (14) Disturbance of consciousness and without satisfactory explanation of cause, and (15) Transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory explanation of cause.

Trackback(0)

TrackBack URI for this entry

Comments (4)

Subscribe to this comment's feed
Thanks
Thanks for clearing my doubt and anxiety. Your answer has just pushing my desire to become a pilot even though I have some friends who so pessimistic about my dream. Thanks again and hope to join you in the sky one day.
Jack , 08 May, 2010
Hai,nice to know i am not alone with the underbite issue wanna be a pilot. I have 2 questions. Pls clear my doubt. The first Q is do you know or seen any airline pilot with underbite cause from a friend of mine working in the aviation sector said the pilot selection screen is very challenging because it include how handsome a guy is. Reason is the pilot's appearance represents the image of the airline. The next Q is will the lower jaw surgery record which it involve huge operation in the hospital will hinder my application into cadet pilot programme? Thanks
daniel josez , 29 May, 2010
Orthognathic
Hello,

I hade a underbite and went to an Orthognathic surery called Lefort 2
Which they cut your upper jaw and put fowards resolving briething bite and speaching.

This cut anda the screws can be a problem to be a pilot?
Rafael S. , 30 May, 2011
Thanks for the post. It was really helpful to solve my confusion.

Occupational Medicine
Pilot Medical , 14 Sep, 2011

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy

Paperback Version

For Local Availability - Check Here

Recommended By..

LIFE IN THE SKIES

'A Local Bestseller!'

Recommended by

Patrick Smith
Boston USA
(See
here)

Capt Meryl Getline
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

Capt Doug Morris
Canadian Airlines
(See
here)

Capt  Robert J Boser
ex-United Airlines USA
(See
here)

38 Readers' Comments
(See here)

Get an autographed copy here

AMAZON.COM  -  To Order, please Click here 

(eBook) Kindle edition - please Click here

View Book Launch video here

Follow me

@CaptKHLim

Like What You Read?

If you like what you read, more stories are found in my book LIFE IN THE SKIES (Preview here) and you can purchase a copy here. To check for any latest updates or postings, you can follow my Twitter at @CaptKHLim or Facebook here

MH 370 Interviews

Click here to View

10 Most Popular Posts

Disclaimer | Privacy
2004 - 2011 © AskCaptainLim.com | Site Concept by eQuilec.com