Written by Capt Lim
Sunday, 11 November 2007 21:47
Welcome to Just About Flying!
First of all, I must apologize to many of you who have written to me as I could not respond to every mail that I have received.
Many readers, especially aspiring pilots, have continued to ask me repeated questions. Please note that there are more than 1000 questions and answers in my site. Whilst I strive to answer every email in the beginning, I cannot guarantee a personal or immediate response to all now. Nevertheless, I will try my best but you can be assured that I do read all your emails. Certainly, new and interesting questions will be answered as soon as I have the time.
This site was started as a hobby. It has certainly evolved and expanded in scope over the years. Yes, I find it to be an interesting past time otherwise I would have stopped running it a long time ago.
As many of my previous visitors are aware, I have been flying the Boeing 777 for almost 9 years with Malaysia Airlines. After retiring at 60 years, I have been re-employed with another airline and flew the Airbus A320, A330 and A340. I have logged a total of about 25,500 flying hours prior to my final retirement in March 2011. Well, with my experiences, I hope I can share everything I know about flying with you all.
I have also occasionally used materials which are believed to have been placed in the public domain. Sometimes it is not possible to identify and communicate with the copyright holder. If you claim ownership of something that was written or published, I would be pleased to make the proper acknowledgement. In other cases where I have inadvertently missed mentioning the sources, kindly accept my apologies.
Additionally, my sincere apologies if I am unable to keep some of the information (airlines fleet size, salaries, etc) current or links fully updated. This is due to my limited resources. However, I will endeavor to update them whenever I have the latest information and the time to do so.
I would greatly appreciate any comments, reports on broken links or errors made in this web site from you all. Please send me a short email via "Ask Me" at the Main Menu.
Since I am unlikely to post an article a day due to my work, you can check for any latest updates or postings, by following my new Twitter at @CaptKHLim
Thank you and have a great day!
Update: 1st May 2011
P.S. Many have written to me and wanted to know more about my background. Below is a small gallery of my photos (Click on them for details) showing the day I began my flying career at the Flying School in the United Kingdom in 1967 until my retirement on the Airbus A340 in 2011.
1. RAF South Cerney, UK - Aircrew Officer Training School 1967
2. RAF Church Fenton, UK - the Chipmunk and Me in 1967
3.RAF Acklington, UK - my instructor, Flt Lt Robin Renton and me in 1968
4. Inside the Fokker 27 Cabin with my crew
5. Posing with my Crew at Kota Kinabalu
6. On a BMW Sports Car in front of a Boeing 777 at Munich, Germany
7. Meeting up with my Flight Instructor many years later inside a Boeing 777 at Manchester
8. In front of an Airbus A330 in 2010
9. Just back on a flight from Seoul on an Airbus A330
10. On route to London with my First Officer Shara Azlin on an Airbus A340 in 2009
11. Receiving a farewell present from my crew on a return flight from Seoul in 2011
12. With my crew on my flight back from London inside an Airbus A340
13. In one of my last flight from London on an Airbus A340 2011
14. My crew and I on my farewell A340 flight from London
15. In front of an Airbus A320
16. With AirAsia Group CEO Tony Fernandes on route to London inside the A340 cockpit
Update 30.3.13 You can read my latest article in the Travel 3Sixty magazine on A Lifetime of Flying here